Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pumpkin Scones!


http://pinterest.com/pin/168249578/
Sweet Peas Kitchen, Pumpkin Scones

What did you make? Starbucks Pumpkin Scones
How did it turn out? Pretty dang good! The scone itself is not very sweet, but it has both a glaze and a spiced drizzle- both very sweet, the two together are perfect! Andy ate three in a row. We ate them both warm and cold, both are  good.
Did you follow directions or make changes? I doubled the sugar! The reviews said the scone wasnt very sweet (the recipe only called for 1/4 cup!) so I put in 1/2. It still wasn't very sweet, but I am glad I did it, cause 1/4 wouldn't have been enough. I also doubled the cinnamon (as I always do!) and I put slightly more pumpkin. The recipe only called for 1/2 cup and I thought to myself, 'thats not very much, lets make it more pumpkiny and more moist!' I put 3/4 cup and boy was that a mistake! The dough was very very VERY sticky. I had to really flour my surface heavily, flour my hands, and pat flour on every side of the scone so that I could pick it up without it sticking to my hands like glue. Some were so sticky the shape was getting ruined during the transfer and so I had to flour my hands again, roll it into a ball to get it to hold together, and then reshape it into a triangle. It worked alright just to get me through my sticky mess but those ones puffed up more during baking and looked like little loaves of bread. The ones that I was able to just cut and transfer to the baking sheet had that nice bumpy texture on the sides, signature of a scone, and I liked that a lot better.
Would you make it again? Yes! Andy has requested that I do. It seems like a "special treat" and so I would save it for such, its not like baking your everyday cookie. These taste like something you have on a holiday or at a party. Or maybe to spice up a family day if its rainy and we stay inside playing games or watching movies!
Any tips or advice? Dont add too much pumpkin! The only other thing is I like mine on the smaller side. The recipe said to pat your dough into a 4x12 rectangle, cut into thirds, and then cut each third with an X to get 4 triangles in each section. They are really small when raw, but grew 4x times their size while baking. I think I will pat my dough into a wider rectangle, maybe no more than 3" tall, and however wide it turns out with that height. They are going to look ridiculously small, probably bite sized, but remember they grow a ton in the oven. Make these! Yum!
-Michelle

2 comments:

  1. I have got to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do it! if i remember correctly andy was practically dancing when he ate these!

    ReplyDelete